Re: exhaust pipe "failures"

Subject: Re: exhaust pipe "failures"
From: Klaus Dietrich <101613.3377@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 07:02:48
Paul,

Thanks for your offer to inspect burnt through exhaust pipe.
I am certainly willing to send you my pipe which is an "good" example. It
has a 5 cm long crack just in the bent radius and the steel it self "peels"
like an onion along the first 20 cm ....(it looks like "Strudelteig" or
"milles feuilles"....)  In my opinion this is a clear sign of bad quality
steel or of badly " rolled" steel.

It is true that I had ThermoTec lagging on it up to the engine. Apparently
ThermoTec is silica based and when heated above a certain temp it will make
mild steel corrode - as some expert told us recently in this forum; however
I don't think that's the only reason as the pipes of my friend's Europa
also starts "peeling" after 40 hours with no Thermo-Tec on them.

I just received my new Exhaust systems from Europa and now also the main
exhaust/silencer is in mild steel (the previous one was still stainless
steel).  Even new, there are already signs of corrosion all over .... so I
am wondering how long this one will last !

When mounting the tubes together I am wondering if I shall put some high
heat resistance Molybdenum grease or similar so the next time I can
disassemble the tubes from the main silencer box.   Any suggestions?

Paul, could you please give me your address so I can send the pipe to you.

Thanks and best regards

Klaus