The trouble with media . . .

Subject: The trouble with media . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:13:22
>I usually spend the next hour telling them how 43 people get killed
>in a bus crash in Canada yet the interrogator sees no danger in
>meeting a bus head-on on a narrow, winding road but sees great danger
>in flying. Asked my 100+ criminal law students yesterday: "How many
>of you have heard of the Hindenburg?" Surprising, *all* of them not
>only raised their hands, but many of them could tell me that 36
>people died in the crash of the Hindenburg.

   Sure . . . and it isn't JUST media coverage. We do it to ourselves
   consistently.  AIRSHOWS . . . geeze I wish we'd just quit doing
   them.  You get a bizillion people to pay good money to get in
   and watch pilots do absolutely crazy things in the sky, trail
   lots of smoke and make lots of noise. Certainly some in the crowd
   are quietly wishing to witness a real munch of some kind . . . .

   Then all of those folk go home totally oblivious of the fact
   that only .1% of the "little" airplanes do that and the pilots
   are quite professional. But when they drive by a grass strip
   with a few raggy airplanes tied down, the image of their last
   airshow visit pops to mind.

   There's a growing movement in this part of the country to REVISE
   our fly-in agendas.  I attended three this summer that were technical
   support fly-ins only. No open-to-the-public paid admissions to come
   watch any sort of "show".  The public was sure invited (along with
   their kids for Young Eagles rides) and they might have to pay to
   attend the forums but the whole event was pure airplane business.

   With by NOT inviting EAA, we avoided the booths with preserved
   aligator heads and Christmas tree decorations, along with rocket-powered
   Peterbuilts. By not inviting DareDevil Joe, we avoided the FAA.
   All-in-all a quiet, fun, informative weekend that probably returns
   more on investment to promote amateur-built aviation than anything
   else we could do. Watch our website for these events to show up
   again, and I hope many others with the similar goals.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////
                     (o o)