Re:FLYING, exhaust pipe fracture in flight

Subject: Re:FLYING, exhaust pipe fracture in flight
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:03:53

Wehey,

All this talk of exhaust pipe burn-through.

By a curious twist of irony, I just had my first 'in-flight incident'
yesterday.On
the way back from Oxford the cabin enviroment suddenly became
'a whole lot noisier'.

I pressed on since engine params. were nominal and executed a normal approach
and landing. Whipping off the top cowl revealed a 360 degree crack around the
circumference of the stbd. front exhaust pipe, where it crosses behind the stbd.
rear. The position of the crack suggests vibration damage to me, as it's right
on the point where the tubes crossover. My vibrating spinner has never been
right and I've often flown without it, though I obviously can't say with any
certainty that it was a contributary factor.

The exhaust is lagged with 'Thermotec' and the engine now reads 133 hours.

On the basis of what I've read, I presumably need to saw off the offending
tube and enlist the services of a tig welder.

alan

> It's my belief also that those of us with a few hours under our belt are
> pretty delighted with our airplanes. They perform very close to "as
> advertised". The fact that it requires real piloting skill on the ground is

I'm very happy with my airplane, but don't wish to be associated (by remaining
silent) with any comment that states that it flys "as advertised". Sorry