Re: Hungry Water

Subject: Re: Hungry Water
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:46:07
>OK gang, here's one that ought to be good for a great debate.
>
>I was listening to a car repair show in the radio the other day that had
>a chemist as a guest. They were discussing mineral deposits in the
>radiator.  He said not to use distilled water in a radiator because it
>would actually make the problem of mineral deposits worse. This is
>because ( according to him), the water being free of minerals will leach
>minerals out of the engine block and radiator core in an attempt to
>balance the chemistry. He called it "hungry water".
>
>I'll bet someone on the list has an opinion on this.
>
>Ready, set, go....

   Horse Pucky . . . .

   Turbine systems in electric generating plants and ships
   go to tremendous lengths to rid boiler water of ALL
   things NOT water . . . contaminant ranges from 25 to 50
   parts per MILLION are the goals. . . . minerals in the
   block? What minerals?  I'd like this guy to show me (1) an
   metalurgical analysis that shows where these minerals
   reside and (2) explain how the molecules "migrate" from
   within the alloy to the surface where this "water with
   an appetite" is to be fed.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection