Re: Spar vibration and trailering.

Subject: Re: Spar vibration and trailering.
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:56:40
>One of my spar end  (the bit outside the wing) can be seen to be vibrating
>like a tuning fork when transporting on the standard trailer. Using carpet
>strips still gives abrasion, and soon wears
>through and snaps (with disastrous results, unless the bottom of the loop is
>supported by foam rubber or the like).  Any good solutions around ?
>Graham C   G-EMIN

Graham, I am using an enclosed trailer, but my wings are supported upright
inside the trailer the same way as the factory trailer.
However I have adopted a different idea for the outboard support instead of
the rubber strip.

I covered the wing at the appropriate position with plastic then laid carpet
material over this. I then did a layup over this of about 7 layers of uni
running from the spars up over the le down to the spar again. I then laid my
frame over this and glassed 4 layers of bid over the previous layup and the
frame.

I have now got a perfectly fitting, smooth craddle for the wings.

Dave Watts, 229

PS Now sprayed and just doing the final reassembly and hoping that this busy
period of my work doesn't get in the way too much for a completion in the
next couple of weeks or so.