Re: Spar vibration and trailering.

Subject: Re: Spar vibration and trailering.
From: Herbert F. Kilian <HKilian@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:17:09
Message text written by INTERNET:europa@avnet.co.uk
>Using carpet strips still gives abrasion, and soon wears
>through and snaps (with disastrous results, unless the bottom of the loop
is
>supported by foam rubber or the like).  Any good solutions around ?<

Again, no need to reinvent the wheel.  Composite and other gliders have
been trailered around since theWright brothers times here in North
Carolina.  Visit your local or distant glider club and have a close look at
clamshell type trailers (Cobra, for example, made by Strasser &
Spindelberger in Edermunde, Germany )  Years of evolution have led to a
couple of  beautifully simple  solutions for holding wings, elevator and
fuselage in place for thousands of miles.  My glider has been flown for
around 1000 hours and  trailered for at least 4 times that long without any
damage (at least from trailering).
In short, the clamshell top is hinged at the very front of  the trailer.
When closing it down, wings and fuselage are clamped down onto their carpet
lined seats.  Also, longitudinal position is defined by stop brackets in
the top and bottom parts of the trailer.  These priciples can surly be
copied into homemade trailers.

Happy trails, Herb