Re: --- PANIC ---

Subject: Re: --- PANIC ---
From: Europa Aviation Ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:08:11
>While starting the port flap lay-up, I had the impression that my epoxy
>pump did not deliver the right amount of hardener. Checking things out
>with a precise scale confirmed my impression. While trying to adjust the
>pump it stopped  to deliver hardener at all.
>
>Here is what brought me into a constant state of panic: If the pump did
>not deliver enough hardener for me to recognize the mismatch, how long
>did it deliver hardener in a mismatch to the resin to impair the
>resulting epoxy?
>
>How can I tell if the epoxy I've used yesterday (and the days before)
>are O.K.  ???
>

>Norbert

Without going to the complications of chemical analysis you could carry out
a scratch test.  If you scratch the surface with a sharp object you should
scrape off a white dry swarf.  If the epoxy has not cured properly it will
scrape off a gummy substance (not to be confused with the stickiness often
found on the surface of a cured laminate).

If you are still concerned, let us have a sample which can be sent for
analysis.  There are two types of test which can be made.  A DSC test which
would require at least 50 micrograms of scrapings, or a DMTA test which
needs a piece to be about 3-4 cm long x 1 cm wide.  There would be a charge
for this testing.

Regards

Andy