Re: Europa-List: Europa XS Mono Throttle cable friction and jam

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa XS Mono Throttle cable friction and jam
From: Michel AUVRAY <mau05160@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 11:25:38
Hello Bud, I send to you my throttle cable solution operative since 1999
without problem.
When I was made my second or third fly with my europa 145, I have the same
problem, the cables bend into the box !
Also I applied this radical solution. And I used this solution on many
others rotax engines.
If the spring is broken or inoperative, the piano wire performs the
function with great reliability.

Le sam. 2 janv. 2021 =C3- 17:51, Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> a =C3=A9cri
t :

> [...]
> have to tug on a cable in either direction to get it to move, you have a
> damaged sheath.  Remember, cable sheaths are just a coil of wire wrapped
> around a nylon tube.  If the winding is damaged, it squeezes the inner
> liner, and the cable will not operate freely in the sheath.
>
> For me, the nylon sheath lined cables require no lube over a lifetime.
> (Although I have used a graphite lube to ease customers fears from the
> constant complaints of club members/owners on this subject.)  The sheath
is
> lined with nylon, coiled in stainless, then heat shrink over the top maki
ng
> a dirt resistant sheath for the twisted wire cable.  My old original
> Classic cables from 1998 (I'm not sure if they were supplied by Europa)
> were damaged by the original builder and were shortened in length, but al
as
> his technique was poor as the cable sheaths were bent hard, the cable end
> cuts were smashed and the cable attachments were misaligned in the thrott
le
> box.  So there was much to correct.  Note that if supplied with an
> aftermarket or original non lined sheath, they are best replaced as
> stainless steel to stainless steel can lead to a corrosion problem
> eventually.  My 2005 supplied Europa cables have been good now for 15+
> years with only a single light lube of a Teflon or graphite that was used
> during inspection (I can't remember what lube I used on the cloth as I wa
> more interested in corrosion of the cables here in Florida).  The reason
> pulled my cables was for an experiment during my rubber replacement at th
> 10 year condition inspection, when I also chose to install a throttle
> friction.
>
> Some owner/builders have done solid cables of wire, model airplane nyrod
> push pull cables, and Zenith style solid rod to a welded arm on the
> firewall that allows both throttles to be actuated via a short push pull
> cable.  All taking more time, money and effort than simply following cabl
> etiquette.  Read over the attached paper and check your cables for
> yourself.  Correct any issues, make sure it works on the bench with the
> cables straight, then make a large loop and check again.  After install i
> the aircraft but not yet attached to the carb arm, the cables  should mov
> freely.  If the throttle cables worked on the bench and not in the
> aircraft, you've pinched something.  I've found from winter to summer, fr
om
> minus 10C to plus 40C the cables work fine from Canada to Florida so they
> should work for you.
>
> Any cable of twisted wire, solid wire or plastic will do if you can get
> the fittings right on the ends and aligned properly.  In experimentation,
> it takes a keen eye for detail, time, patience, analysis and money to
> correct our new designs/mods and get them working flawlessly.

matronics.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D499940%23499940&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7
C49e72240470042cfdcd508d8aee36e03%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C
0%7C637451639107968109%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoi
V2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=dVOlPJhn9HUqIQ8ni
9%2FoEbFFq1R1F9Onh1IQJEPA9fE%3D&amp;reserved=0

> %2Fwww.matronics.com
> %2FNavigator%3FEuropa-List&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C49e72240470042cfdcd508
d8aee36e03%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637451639107968109%
7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWw
iLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=CDiwbu5VruzkTCMLOi7x4vD94Ep3uu%2BPuUZ78b
Hwgys%3D&amp;reserved=0
> %2Fforums.matronics.com
> %2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C49e72240470042cfdcd508d8aee36e03%7C84df9e7fe9
f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637451639107978103%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d
8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&
amp;sdata=VdEBmsKWLU7vG7zO5biEjCExlAfd2%2BpfWMwFaSCAdSk%3D&amp;reserved
=0
> %2Fwiki.matronics.com
> %2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C49e72240470042cfdcd508d8aee36e03%7C84df9e7fe9
f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637451639107978103%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d
8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&
amp;sdata=XtSTu8URTp98OB%2Br4dTj3eN0O1mV5kFj78dEKeJH9FM%3D&amp;reserved
=0
> %2Fwww.matronics.com
> %2Fcontribution&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C49e72240470042cfdcd508d8aee36e03%
7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637451639107978103%7CUnknown%7
CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn
0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=5fySIFZoU%2FNmCCvxvy0ZV%2FBdtgwP7SAaW%2BzujWxPiV0%3
D&amp;reserved=0