RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?
From: Ian Cook <IanCook1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 12:21:10
Clive,
       I operate the only Extended Wing Europa with a LAA Permit in the UK,
 G-CBHI. I can change back and forth between XS and Extended Wings with no
problem, and use an enclosed trailer built specially in Germany for the mon
o extended wings. It is shown in the corner of the hangar while I was riggi
ng the machine last winter. It did take a long time to get the Permit, star
ting in 2009 completed in 2018. The main reasons for the delay were the spa
r failing when it was plugged into the fuselage for a max structural test a
t 50 degrees C, hence mod 78. Standing the fuselage next to the hot autocla
ve full of fuel causing the tank to swell needing a tank change. Both items
 needed LAA  approved repair schemes before the work was completed taking a
lmost 3 years. The LAA then insisted on full spinning trials, over 80 in al
l. The machine was landed wheels up during this flight trails work taking a
 further 2 years to complete. After this they wanted a warning system for U
/C /airbrakes, a stall warning system. Also there were issues on how to cle
ar it. As a motor glider, touring motor glider or SEP? It did not correctly
 fit into any of the categories or design requirements. Also written confir
mation of the structural clearances for airbrakes flying controls etc was r
equired. A correctly approved Pilots Operating Handbook and audit trail for
 all the clearance was required from Swift Aviation who had taken over engi
neering and design approval. It was found the existing XS stall warning did
 not work correctly on the different wing profile of the extended wing, as
the machine could now fly very slowly 45 to 50 knot, having a stall warning
 going off all the time was just not acceptable. All this added further yea
rs, and to cap it all, it got damaged in stormy weather last year when a ca
nopy cover tie broke and managed to undo the canopy handle and remove the d
oor. A further repair scheme was required for this, as all the previous doo
r losses had occurred in flight and were total losses. I have to thank Swif
t Aviation for their support last year when they were moving their home bas
e from Yorkshire to Coltishall and had so much on. We still do not have the
 increase in all up mass yet and have a limited C of G, but I am still opti
mistic that these will come, but further flight trials will be required.  H
owever, just in case that drags on I am doing a weight reduction exercise a
t the moment getting rid of lead acid batteries, vacuum system and gyro ins
trument etc giving me an extra 20 kg off the basic hull weight.

Best regards

Ian Cook