Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?
From: John Roedseth <roedseth@pt.lu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 05:00:29

Hi Pete,
Soaring with the Motorglider works, even on a normal day with medium thermals (2
to 4 m/s). I have a compensated VSI like most gliders. The Europa has a low
specific wing loading, and climbs well, but as Ian Cook says it is not so easy.
I find the ailerons not efficient enough for tight thermals. Flying slow (+_60
knots) can be challenging in a thermal! I agree with Ian, visibility is not
optimal to fly with others in the same thermal. You are better off exploring
waves etc. To be honest, if gliding is important, you will be better off joining
a gliding club and borrowing a real glider. I use LX-CWT 95% of the time for
going places, economically and sometimes throttling back to use lift from
thermals
on the way. The long wings are additional safety, if the engine should
stop for some reason or other. If someone wants a more detailed view of the
merits
of the motorglider or even meeting somewhere near Luxembourg for a demo flight,
send me an email (roedseth@pt.lu). Regards, John.

Read this topic online here: