RE: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Panel

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Panel
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 23:09:53
Sorry Dave,
Lately half the matronics list is going to junk mail.
The Europa panels are just FRP and expensive.  You can buy your own and mak
e them as easy.

The pitot static check is best done by a professional avionics shop.  Typic
al cost for us here in Florida is $250.
For quick and dirty checks:
>From the EAA and Bingalis books pull one inch of mercury by mouth (raise th
e altimeter exactly 1000 feet via the static tube.  On a stock Europa you c
an pull it at the wing pitot static but it is easier to remove the pitot tu
be and disconnect the static line..
VSI or VVI should show a climb and settle to zero.
ASI should indicate 135KIAS
Altimeter should read 1000 feet and be steady.

If leaking on the static, disconnect the VSI as they do fail.
Next the ASI,
If the altimeter is leaking, get it rebuilt.

Never blow into the static.  If unsure, pull a slight vacuum on a line and
check.  If nothing moves it is most likely a pitot line.  Use very light pr
essure, or a small manometer to pressurize the pitot line to one inch of wa
ter.  If the airspeed doesn=92t move, its broke.

I make all my panels to be easily removable.  It takes me longer to pull th
e cowl off than pull the panel.  With the brakes easy to drop down and the
throttle back, I put a towel on the handles and rotate out the panel.
See other post.
Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window