Re: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Panel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Panel
From: Eoin Maguire <eoinmaguire@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 20:27:22

Cheers Jonathan

Maybe the group might have a better solution to my problem so to save me whats
sounds like a horrendous job.

Long story short I bought the aircraft at the start of the year and have been
working
through a few tech issues before getting the aircraft permitted in Ireland.

The aircraft has both a standard asi and dynon d10 neither of which registered
an airspeed during the flight. On stripping down of the route of the
pitot/static
plumbing I found multiple kinks and badly made connections so replumbed from
pitot/static port under wing right into the cockpit. Under the dash the original
pipes connected into a 5 pin festo connector which Im assuming is used to
split to feeds to the dynon and standard asi.

Does anyone know a way of identifying how to test the asi or effectively
identifying
the old pipes still in place to figure out which is the static and which
is the pitot without damaging the instruments ?

Kind Regards
Eoin

Sent from my iPhone

> On 3 Oct 2018, at 19:50, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Eoin, I hope you're small-built like me. This is just about the worst job that
I've ever had to do, including the removal of engine and gearbox from an
original
little Morris Mini car. In fact it's worse than that because if your panel
doesn't have the removable facia described by Mike, then you're going to be
"in a world of pain"!

> The "binnacle" or console is attached to the firewall by screws inserted from
the engine bay side, except for a few which are inserted from the cockpit side
above the parcel shelf. Every time (6 times or so in 21 years) that I've done
the ghastly job, I swear that the next time I won't replace it until I've
modified
the console with removable facia. But then I look at what's involved, chicken
out and reinstall it telling myself that it'll never need to come out again.
Idiot!

> I recommend that you save yourself the frightful task of having to rub away
> scratches
---From the inside of the windscreen by first making a thick-ish cardboard
sheet, shaped to fit inside the screen and tape it with masking tape to the
surrounding framework and/or upholstery. This is a top tip, believe me! Another
top tip is to remove the two control sticks from their sockets and then lay
cushions ( I use my seat cushions ) into the well so that they provide at least
some protection for your back.

>> From here on in, you're on your own. Each time that I've done it I slide
>> myself
head-long down to the rudder pedals and lie face upwards. You'll probably
need first to have removed whatever you can which projects up from the central
tunnel and/or to have padded it to protect the under side of the console as you
slide it out. A good light is a must!

> YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED ANOTHER PAIR OF HANDS TO HELP YOU AT VARIOUS STAGES
AND I SUGGEST THAT THEY SHOULDN'T BELONG TO YOUR WIFE. BAD LANGUAGE WILL ALMOST
CERTAINLY FLOW PROFUSELY!