Europa-List: Re: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 06:38:21

Hi Chris,
If this is the Europa on Barnstormers being sold by an EAA chapter in GA, I have
talked to the chapter representative and another prospective buyer about it.
Both contacted me because I am the US representative for the Europa Club.

My knowledge is mostly based on the photos in Barnstormers and some history from
the chapter.  It is kit A291 which was one of the last sold in the US.
Apparently
the owner assembled some of the mechanical parts but didnt do any of the
composite work.  You can see the main wheel assembled in the photos.   From
the photos the kit appears to be pretty complete.  But at the time it was sold,
Europa was undergoing financial problems and some kits were missing significant
parts.  If you are seriously interested, you should contact Bud Yerly of Custom
Flight Creations in Seffner, FL to have a look with you.  Bud is the Europa
expert.

The kit pictured does not include the firewall forward kit.  That was common
practice
at the time, builders would wait until they completed the fuselage, wings
and tail before spending the money for the firewall forward.  So you will need
the forward cowl, engine mount, radiators etc.  Some of these parts are
available
---From the factory, others from builders / third party vendors.  But they
are all available.  Likewise, the plex for the windscreen and doors for US kits
was provided by LP Aero Plastics.  They still show it in their catalog.

The photos show a Rotax 9XX engine.  The black valve covers indicate it is a 80
hp 912.  The club rep says it was turbo charged and there are no carbs or inlet
manifolds.  I would consider this as a core at best.  You should plan on
purchasing
an engine as well as a prop.

Your intent to fly with your kids in a side by side configuration is perfect.
We love our Europa monowheel and its performance.  With the turbo 914, we see
150 kt cruise on 5.5 gph MOGAS at 10-12K ft.  It handles beautifully and is a
wonderful traveling machine.  We are based on a grass strip that it does really
well on, but paved runways are no problem either.  The original mission for
Europa was to go from England to the south of France with girl friend for the
weekend with speed and economy while having the capability to trailer home and
operate off farm fields in England.  It does that mission well.

The mono wheel ground handling is different than what most pilots are accustomed
to.  I would not recommend it for initial flight training.  You may find that
insurance is difficult to obtain.  There are very few qualified flight
instructors
and only a couple that I am aware of that have recent time in type.

It is possible to convert a mono to a tri-gear, at some weight and speed
penalty.
That is the configuration that is generally recommended.  Its ground handling
is similar to most tricycle gear aircraft.

The glider wings are a nice option.  There were not too many produced, around
20.
The performance is similar to a 2-33 Schweitzer.  Be aware there is a major
mandatory spar modification required on these.

You may find that purchasing a flying Europa is a less expensive proposition.
The tri-gear on Barnstormers at $46,500 is quite a good value.  If you purchase
the kit for $10,000 add engine and prop, roughly $25,000, some avionics,
$10,000,
paint and interior, $8,000 you begin to see why a flying Europa may be less
expensive.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Jim Butcher

Read this topic online here: