Re: Europa-List: Re: Trips 2017 UK/Europe

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Trips 2017 UK/Europe
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 16:07:31

Carl, You may have had most of the answers you need already, but my
replies would be:

1. RT is identical the world over for formal ATC services The only
exception to that would be that a very few French airfields have a
published policy of French only, and you need fairly fluent French for
those. However 95%+ (?) and none of the customs airfields are like that
so it is most unlikely you will stumble on such an airfield in error.
Full details of all french airfields, complete with plates are available
on the SIA website (see the club website Flying abroad section) so don't
rely on some out of date French Pooleys equivalent!

2. Yes

3. Yes, but once you have landed at one you can carry on throughout
Shengen at any airfield until you come to leave Schengen when you should
again use a customs airfield. Several trips within last year confirm
this. Again consult SIA for up to date info.

4. No only initial port of entry into Schengen. You could incidentally
fly right across France without landing and clear customs in Germany or
wherever.

5. English rules apply: You need an FPL if crossing an IFR boundary, or
if crossing dangerous terrain, like the Alps. The occasional east europe
country may still require one for any flight but certainly not France or
Germany. You will find that most French and German airfields of any
consequence will have computer systems or phone in systems where it is
easy , and quick so doing it as you go along is straightforward.

 Currently skiing but happy to talk over any uncertainties when I
return. You will find my number in the club mag

Regards David Joyce, trips coordinator.

On 2017-02-03 21:44, carlp101 wrote:

> Well. With or without other Europa pilots I'm planning to come.
>
> I've only familiar with flying in the UK. I have lots of questions. I hope you
don't mind.

> 1. Are there any differences in RT procedures in other counties?
> 2. Is the handover procedure between counties in Europe the same as between
> the
UK and France?
> 3. I assume I have to land at a customs in France before continuing. Is that
correct?
> 4. Do I have to land at customs in each country?
> 5. How many flight plans do I need to file - one end-to-end plan or one per
> country?
>
> Perhaps it would be better to chat on the phone? If you email me privately I
can send you my contact details.

> All the best.
> Carl
>
> Read this topic online here: