Europa-List: Re: Wing walk area delamination?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wing walk area delamination?
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 01:21:51

Richard,
I would make an immediate inspection of the are using a boroscope, if the skin
is compromised in this area there may be a significant reduction in strength.
The delaminated skin will only transfer loads in tension (top skin = negative
G), therefore you may have a reduction in ability to transfer positive G loads
to the fwd pickup.  Luckily the spar does much of the work, but the skins work
for torsion and to transfer drag/antidrag loads via shear into the fwd/aft
pickups.

If it is delaminated the repair may need to be more than localised.

Did you know Dr Joyce has some spare wings from kit #506?

I hope it turns out to be more benign than it at first appears.

Regards
JW

--------
John Wighton