Re: Europa-List: flap deflection question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: flap deflection question
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 21:46:56
Roland and William,
One degree or a bit less is about what the slop in the system gives you
no matter how hard you work at it.

The flap tube, when floating just off the baggage bay wall, is flexible
enough that the flaps float in either the up or down position, nothing
should bind or be forced.

I prefer putting stops on the up point on the left and right sides of
the flap tube, with the mono flap actuator tube all the way forward
(gear up) and the flap tube just touching the stops.  Then I drilled the
top hole on each flap arm to set the flap incidence perfectly.  I
dropped the gear and sure enough, the flaps were off nearly a degree.

How?  I was so careful, how could it be off that far?

Each flap is set with an about distance from the wing closeout, then we
measure with a micrometer for the flap pin and eyeball the pin hole.  We
take our string aligned flap bracket holes, whack the bulkhead to get
the hinge supports to fit and do our best to get the hinges level.
Finally, we align a bent tube to the flap drive pins and try to align
the hinge arms.  It=99s a miracle if we get it to within a degree,
---From up to down but we do.  The flaps are quite flexible and can be
moved slightly by hand with light pressure in either the up or down
position.  If the ailerons aren=99t binding and a proper Annex E
is accomplished, and the incidence is set right, the flaps look even by
eye with the gear up (as shown in my trimming guide), the ailerons are
even also with the flaps (tips also) and the plane will fly level with
only the slightest of stick pressure.  That can be fixed by using the
techniques in my trimming document.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Bud Yerly