Re: Europa-List: Autopilot servo instalation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Autopilot servo instalation
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:02:29
Alan,
Nice clean job.
I prefer not to run a thin wall one inch tube that far without an idler
in the center.  However, the pitch system only needs a couple of pounds
of pressure when out of trim, and when the stab is trimmed neutral, very
little pressure is necessary to move the stab.  We design our systems
for the worse case scenario, that is, full trim up the the max torque of
the trim motor and the bending moment of the thin wall tubing has to be
capable of taking the load plus a rather large safety factor (since it
is a control system) without bending or flexing.  If the trim tube
should bend, it can jamb the flight control.

I prefer to put the trim motor where you did, but make a 3/2 ratio arm
to drive the tube via a tube clamp.

However, to keep a short drive tube, I would recommend installing the
new light weight servos behind the mass balance post using a two inch
extension from the torque tube arm (there are two holes there anyway to
mount .016 steel arms to).  Use a 1/2 inch with .049 wall for the drive
tube (like the aileron tubes).  The length of the tube should be about 2
feet.

Regards,
Bud Yerly