Re: Europa-List: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:09:24

Tony, I wouldn't even contemplate taking the whole upper
wing surface off. If there is any question of opening the
wing up then a small local patch could , I guess be cut
out and subsequently repaired, probably best from both
cosmetic and aerodynamic views, on the undersurface. It is
very difficult to do any heat produced modifications on
any sizeable area. Getting a spar pin socket out of the
seat back works nicely if you blow a heat gun down the
hole, but I would hesitate to try anything bigger. But
what you really need is an inspector with fibreglass
skills, and ideally someone who is a professional glider
repairer. I assume there must be one or more such persons
in Oz as glider pilots not infrequently get it wrong and
make a bit of a mess of their plane, and very extensive
damage can be repaired to as new standards. But there are
strict principles for maintaining the strength of the
structures. Alternatively, speaking as a retired
gynaecologist, I suspect it might be possible to put
modified recess bits in through the hole in the close out
possibly by say cutting in two vertically and patching
over the join line.
    Regards, David  Joyce, G-XSDJ