Re: Europa-List: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 11:03:00

On Sep 13, 2014, at 4:06 AM, tonyvaccarella <tony@weimagine.com.au>
wrote:

> While taking stock of the equipment I noted that the aileron mass
balance reassesses that should have been installed prior to wing
close-out are missing.

Tony=85I don=92t recall any previous discussion on this forum of the
situation which you face.

I too have heard of judicious application of heat being used to undo
Reduxed joints, but I=92ve no experience doing so.

Given that the previous builder of your kit made this omission=85and
I=92ll say a rather fundemental omission at that...if I were in your
shoes, the first thing I would do is slowly and carefully verify that
EVERYTHING ELSE which was required to have been installed prior to wing
close-out was in fact accomplished.

If everything else is satisfactory, I would then explore the possibility
of cutting out the underside of the wing at the trailing edge so that
the mass balance recess could be inserted and reinforced=85I=92d
consider the possibility of creating some flanges which could support
the moulded recess.

I do not have the background or knowledge to give any advice=85I can
only describe how I would imagine myself dealing w/ this problem.

Be aware that there have been some wings shipped w/ the pre-moulded
locations for the mass balance recess moldings mis-aligned (as were
mine)=85in which case, preparation for those moldings was a bit more
complicated. I believe there is an advisory from the factory on how to
deal w/ this situation.

Proceed w/ caution,

Hope this helps,

Fred