Re: Europa-List: coolant thermostat uk

Subject: Re: Europa-List: coolant thermostat uk
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 13:37:54

Gilles et al,

..... and I respectfully bow to your testing and experience.
The importance of the coolant system is certainly not lost on me. While
you are probably not aware of it, I have done a lot of work to develop a
fully ducted water/oil radiator with full diffuser, nozzle and cowl flap
in an effort to reduce cooling drag and improve cooling efficiency.

If the Rotax published literature is to be believed, the 9 series
engines should be able to run for up to fifteen minutes on a reduced
power setting in the event of a coolant loss, to enable the hapless
pilot to reach the ground safely. Indeed they justify the unusual
configuration that combines the complexity of water cooled cylinder
heads with inefficiency of air cooled cylinder barrels for that reason.

Your experimentation and the experience of coolant failure of others
begs an interesting question, if the Rotax air cooled barrels do not
offer any increased endurance in the event of coolant loss - why use
air-cooled barrels?
Water cooled barrels would offer far better heat distribution and thus
less localised distortion and allow tighter tolerance pistons that in
turn would develop greater power with less noise.

With regards to thermostats, your comment were perhaps intended for the
original poster. I was referring to the scenario from a previous poster,
where the coolant has been lost and the engine is still running. Under
these conditions you can reasonably expect the oil temperature to rise
(to possibly critical levels) and I was trying to indicate that a
synthetic oil could possibly withstand these extreme conditions.

Nigel