Re: Europa-List: coolant thermostat uk

Subject: Re: Europa-List: coolant thermostat uk
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 11:06:45
Unfortunately my 912S Europa suffered coolant loss on climb out last autumn s
o low uk outside temperature and still even though the pilot throttled strai
ght back and landed straight away the damage to the engine was all heads scr
ap and 1 barrel scrap.

Kevin Challis
G ODJG

> On 4 Jun 2014, at 09:03, Nigel Graham <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk> wrote:

> I would be very interested to hear how successful this is once fitted and t
ested (either on or off list).
> With regards to oil over-temp should the water coolant be lost, I think yo
u might be surprised how resilient a modern full-synthetic oil is (which can
 be used in a 9 series engine as long as you don't run 100LL). On a reduced p
ower decent I think you would get away with it.

> Nigel
>
>> On 04/06/2014 07:13, Christoph Both wrote:
>> Just bought one of these on my trip to Germany and look forward to instal
ling the oil/cooling water exchange unit. My issue is a used oil rad for the
 80hp engine but I have a 100hp. Runs fine in cruise but climb is limited to
 5 min at full throttle going over 130 degrees celsius oil temps. I decided t
o stay away from removing the old radiator, though, as Silent Hektik recomme
nds as in case of cooling fluid loss my engine will be toast in seconds comp
ared with keeping the old rad and flying home in limp mode.
>> Just my thoughts,
>> Christoph Both
>> Wolfville, Canada
>>
>> From: Nigel Graham <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>
>> Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM
>> To: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@matronics.com>
>> Subject: Re: Europa-List: coolant thermostat uk
>>

>> Keith, Karl, I have been looking at this range of oil and water thermosta
ts from the German company Silent Hektic:

>> http://www.silent-hektik.com/UL_912_Thermo.htm
>>
>> Their products look well made (though I haven't bought anything yet). Att
ached is a translation fyi.

>> Nigel
>>
>> (I have no commercial connection with this organisation)
>>
>>> On 04/06/2014 00:30, Keith Hickling wrote:
>>> Karl,
>>> I have been planning to install a coolant thermostat too. Could you plea
se post the details of the                 manufacturer or supplier, model n
o etc so I can try to source one if Conair no longer supply it?

>>> Many thanks,
>>> Keith Hickling.

l it. I can sell it to you at the                   original price plus post
age.

=========
=========
=========