Europa-List: Smart Ass

Subject: Europa-List: Smart Ass
From: DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:31:30
-David=0A=0AI agree entirely, I have contacted Mark burton and he informs
 me the mark 2 version is in test and is a few months away. Cost appears to
 be very reasonable!=0A=0ACan you enlighten us all if it is retro fittable?
 and how easy to do particularly on a classic?=0Argds=0ADJ=0ASent to you-
by David Joyce=0Awww.eastmidsspas.com- =0A-=0APLEASE NOTE WE HAVE MOVED
 AND ARE NOW AT=0AThe Zycomm Building 51 Nottingham Road Ripley Derbys DE5
3AS=0A160 Meters from Sainsbury's Island=0A-=0ASame Phone 0800 4102122 an
d Direct Mobile 07973 675755=0A-=0A =0A=0A_______________________________
_=0A From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matron
ics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 11 May 2014, 11:42=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Re:
 Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re:  Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europ
a-List: Europa Crash in  L=FCbeck/Germany=0A  =0A=0A--> Europa-List message
 posted by: "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A=0AGraham, Sorry to
 be butting in on your debate with Tim, and I see where you are coming from
 now, but can I just add that the SmartASS is g compensated so it gives exa
ctly the same 'margin over stall' information as an AOA device (and at a fr
action of the price). It might appear that I am pushing this as if I had so
me commercial tie up, which is not the case. I am evangelical about it beca
use we have now had (subject to confirmation in this latest case) 6 Europas
 lost to stall/spin accidents, an appalling statistic for a plane that flie
s so beautifully and is slippery enough not to lose speed rapidly. There ha
ve of course been countless crashes of other types also, but in our relativ
ely small and tight knit Europa community it is truly sobering and we shoul
d all be asking ourselves are we confident of not becoming number 7.=0ARega
=0AGRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A> Tim=0A> may
be we are mixing things a bit. ASI will measure instantly changes in airspe
ed. When AoA changes aircraft speed will not change instantly but will take
 several seconds.=0A> The force causing change of airspeed is increase or d
ecrease in drag, usually quite a small force.=0A> During take off accelerat
ion is caused by engine thrust and ASI will record speed of course, as soon
 as the aircraft is flying AoA should quickly settle at best climb.=0A> Sta
ll occurs at the same AoA whatever airspeed or total weight is. (I'm thinki
ng aloud here)=0A> In fact best climb, cruise or glide speeds are also at f
ixed AoAs. They are not at fixed airspeeds but=0A> change as all up weight
changes.=0A> AoA is much the best primary flight control instrument. That's
 why fast jets use it.=0A> A pity AoA meters aren't mass produced like ASIs
 are!=0A> best regards=0A> Graham=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> _________________
_______________=0A> From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>=0A> To: euro
pa-list@matronics.com Sent: Sunday, 11 May 2014, 8:34=0A> Subject: Europa-L
ist: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Eu
ropa Crash in L=FCbeck/Germany=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> Hi Graham.=0A> =0A> We ma
y be talking apples against pears here BUT if what you say is true then on
takeoff I would be at 100' thinking about retracting the undercarriage befo
re the ASI has moved from zero.=0A> =0A> I agree it takes time to accelerat
e or decelerate a 600kg mass but the pressure measurement showing movement
relative to the local air mass will be indicated within a small fraction of
 a second even using our normal mechanical manometers that are calibrated i
n airspeed and could be even quicker using electronic pressure sensors clos
e to the pitot head.=0A> =0A> True an AOA or alpha system would be helpful
but I just want to be warned if through lack of attention or being distract
ed I allow my speed to decay , these lack of attention or distraction event
s usually build up slowly without it being noticed and I would guess rarely
 happens over one or two seconds.=0A> =0A> best regards=0A> =0A> Tim-=0A>
 =0A> =0A> =0A> On 10 May 2014 22:28, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@bti
nternet.com> wrote:=0A> =0A> Tim=0A>> don't think so , the ASI won't move (
or shouldn't!) until the aircraft has accelerated, or worse slowed down and
 that takes many seconds.=0A>> When it says "stall speed!" you.ve already s
talled. Not a lot of use.=0A>> Graham=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>>
=0A>> ________________________________=0A>> From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyo
nder.co.uk>=0A>> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Saturday, 10 May 2014,
 14:31=0A>> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Europa
Crash in L=FCbeck/Germany=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> Hi Graham.=0A>> =0A>> =0A>
> I think you may have put the decimal point in the wrong place. I apprecia
te what you are suggesting but 20 seconds ?=0A>> I bet the real figure is m
uch less than a second.=0A>> Mind you how would you measure the lag , my AS
I seems to move at the speed of light at times.=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> Tim=0A>>
=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> On 10 May 2014 13:19, GRAHAM SINGLETON <graha
msingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A>> =0A>> Or an AoA meter as primary att
itude/speed instrument. The ASI is always 20 seconds too late.=0A>>> Very s
ad, I met Manfred while he was building. A very nice man and a nice Europa.
=0A>>> Graham=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> _____________
___________________=0A>>> From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A>
>> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Saturday, 10 May 2014, 12:36=0A>>> S
ubject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Crash in L=FCbeck/Germany=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>
.uk>=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> I strongly suspect that this another case where a
SmartASS or the equivalent might have saved them both. David Joyce, G-XSDJ
=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navig
ator?Europa-List tp://forums.matronics.com _blank">http://www.matronics.com
/contribution =0A>> =0A>> http://www.matronics.com/con=======
========= =0A>> =0A>> arget="_blank">http://www.matroni
cs.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A> tp://forums.matronics.com=0A> _blank">http