Re: Europa-List: Smart Ass

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Smart Ass
From: DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 15:52:34
Multiple?=0A=0AOnly 2=0A=0AThat's enough for one list don't you think?=0A
=0A;-)-=0ASent to you-by David Joyce=0Awww.eastmidsspas.com- =0A-
=0APLEASE NOTE WE HAVE MOVED AND ARE NOW AT=0AThe Zycomm Building 51 Nottin
gham Road Ripley Derbys DE5 3AS=0A160 Meters from Sainsbury's Island=0A-
=0ASame Phone 0800 4102122 and Direct Mobile 07973 675755=0A-=0A =0A=0A__
______________________________=0A From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org
.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 11 May 2014, 15:40=0A
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Smart Ass=0A  =0A=0A--> Europa-List message poste
d by: "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A=0AKarl, I could copy rel
evant sections of my mk 2 installation manual to you if you tell me what yo
u are after. David Joyce, G-XSDJ=0APS Don't get confused over the multiple
Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com> wrote:=0A> David,=0A> I was also looking for
the installation manual, but without success. There is one website but they
 want my credit card details for a trial membership. Has Mark got it online
 somewhere ?=0A> regards Karl=0A> =0A> Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:31:30 +010
0=0A> From: stranfaer@btinternet.com=0A> Subject: Europa-List: Smart Ass=0A
> To: europa-list@matronics.com=0A> =0A> David=0A> I agree entirely, I have
 contacted Mark burton and he informs me the mark 2 version is in test and
is a few months away. Cost appears to be very reasonable!=0A> Can you enlig
hten us all if it is retro fittable? and how easy to do particularly on a c
lassic?rgdsDJ Sent to you by David Joyce=0A> www.eastmidsspas.com-  PLEAS
E NOTE WE HAVE MOVED AND ARE NOW ATThe Zycomm Building 51 Nottingham Road R
ipley Derbys DE5 3AS160 Meters from Sainsbury's Island Same Phone 0800 4102
122 and Direct Mobile 07973 675755=0A> =0A>- - - - From:=0A> David
Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: S
unday, 11 May 2014, 11:42=0A> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re
: Europa-List: Re:- Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Europa
avid Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A> =0A> Graham, Sorry to be buttin
g in on your debate with Tim, and I see where you are coming from now, but
can I just add that the SmartASS is g compensated so it gives exactly the s
ame 'margin over stall' information as an AOA device (and at a fraction of
the price). It might appear that I am pushing this as if I had some=0A> com
mercial tie up, which is not the case. I am evangelical about it because we
 have now had (subject to confirmation in this latest case) 6 Europas lost
to stall/spin accidents, an appalling statistic for a plane that flies so b
eautifully and is slippery enough not to lose speed rapidly. There have of
course been countless crashes of other types also, but in our relatively sm
all and tight knit Europa community it is truly sobering and we should all
be asking ourselves are we confident of not becoming number 7.=0A> Regards,
=0A> GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A>> Tim=0A>>
 maybe we are mixing things a bit. ASI will measure instantly changes in ai
rspeed. When AoA changes aircraft speed will not change instantly but will
take several seconds.=0A>> =0A> The force causing change of airspeed is inc
rease or decrease in drag, usually quite a small force.=0A>> During take of
f acceleration is caused by engine thrust and ASI will record speed of cour
se, as soon as the aircraft is flying AoA should quickly settle at best cli
mb.=0A>> Stall occurs at the same AoA whatever airspeed or total weight is.
 (I'm thinking aloud here)=0A>> In fact best climb, cruise or glide speeds
are also at fixed AoAs. They are not at fixed airspeeds but=0A>> change as
all up weight changes.=0A>> AoA is much the best primary flight control ins
trument. That's why fast jets use it.=0A>> A pity AoA meters aren't mass pr
oduced like ASIs are!=0A>> best regards=0A>> Graham=0A>> =0A>> =0A>> =0A>>
=0A>> ________________________________=0A>> From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyo
nder.co.uk>=0A>> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Sunday, 11 May 2014, 8
:34=0A>> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa
-List: Re: Europa-List: Europa Crash in L=FCbeck/Germany=0A>> =0A>> =0A>>
=0A>> Hi Graham.=0A>> =0A>> We may be talking apples against pears here BUT
 if what you say is true then on takeoff I would be at 100' thinking about
retracting the undercarriage before the ASI has moved from zero.=0A>> =0A>>
 I agree it takes time to accelerate or decelerate a 600kg mass but the pre
ssure measurement showing movement relative to the local air mass will be i
ndicated within a small fraction of a second even using our normal mechanic
al manometers that are calibrated in airspeed and could be even quicker usi
ng electronic pressure sensors close to the pitot head.=0A>> =0A>> True an
AOA or alpha system would be helpful but I=0A> just want to be warned if th
rough lack of attention or being distracted I allow my speed to decay , the
se lack of attention or distraction events usually build up slowly without
it being noticed and I would guess rarely happens over one or two seconds.
=0A>> =0A>> best regards=0A>> =0A>> Tim =0A>> =0A>> =0A>> On 10 May 2014 22
:28, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A>> =0A>> Ti
m=0A>>> don't think so , the ASI won't move (or shouldn't!) until the aircr
aft has accelerated, or worse slowed down and that takes many seconds.=0A>>
> When it says "stall speed!" you.ve already stalled. Not a lot of use.=0A>
>> Graham=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> _________________
_______________=0A>>> From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>=0A>>> To:
europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Saturday, 10 May 2014, 14:31=0A>>> Subject:
 Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Europa Crash in L=FCbeck/Ge
rmany=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> Hi Graham.=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> I think you
 may have put the decimal point in the wrong place. I appreciate what you a
re suggesting but 20 seconds ?=0A>>> I bet the real figure is much less tha
n a second.=0A>>> Mind you how would you measure the lag , my ASI seems to
move at the speed of light at times.=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> Tim=0A>>> =0A>>>
=0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> =0A>>> On 10 May 2014 13:19, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahams
ingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A>>> =0A>>> Or an AoA meter as primary att
itude/speed instrument. The ASI is always 20 seconds too late.=0A>>>> Very
sad, I met Manfred while he was building. A very nice man and a nice Europa
.=0A>>>> Graham=0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> ____
____________________________=0A>>>> From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.o
rg.uk>=0A>>>> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Saturday, 10 May 2014, 12
:36=0A>>>> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Crash in L=FCbeck/Germany=0A>>>
vidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> I strongly suspect that thi
s another case where a SmartASS or the equivalent might have saved them bot
h. David Joyce, G-XSDJ=0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> =0A>>>> arget="_blank">http
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List tp://forums.matronics.com _blank
">http://www.matronics.com/contribution =0A>>> =0A>>> http://www.matronics.
com/con================ =0A>>> arget="_bl
ank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A>> tp://forums.matron
ics.com=0A>> _blank">http://www.==============
igator?Europa-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?
= Same great content also=0A> ttp://forums.matronics.com/" target="_bla
nk">http://forums.matronics.com/sp;- - - - - - - - - -
-nics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribu