Re: Europa-List: Parcel Shelf tray door access for fuses, CBS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Parcel Shelf tray door access for fuses, CBS
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 12:03:57

On 7 Apr 2014, at 11:03, Brian Davies wrote:

> You make a very good point.  The only electrical incident I have experienced
on my aircraft was a generator  overvolt trip just after coasting out over the
Channel.  After a careful check and a reset of the circuit breaker I was able
to proceed without any drama.  The alternative, with a fuse not readily
accessible,
would have been a turn back to the airfield/refiling flight plan, revised
GAR arrival time etc. etc.

> The safety aspects are even more important..

A fuse may well go as part of some in air failure just possibly accompanied
by fire or smoke. Time spent working out what is happening threatens your
safety. As with an engine failure serious distraction and stress can lead to
speed decay and a stall/spin accident. So I prefer my fusing system to be out
where it is immediately obvious what has blown and for this reason I recommend
switchable circuit breakers, all labelled and readily visible. They have the
added benefit of readily allowing switching off of circuits to deal with
emergencies
such as regulator failure. Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

David, Brian - thanks for your comments. I've tried to do simple Failure Mode &
Effects Analysis (FMEA) on both types of circuit protection remembering that
I'll be trying to fly the aeroplane at the same time. My planned "mission
profile"
is such that a failure of any single electrical item should not compromise
flight safety, and in this I agree with Bob Nucknolls, who has a lot more
experience
than me in aircraft electrics. (With 32 years' professional experience
in electronic research I feel I also know a bit about the "electrics" aspect
if not the "aircraft" aspect.) See the following postings:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/fuseorcb.html

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/fusvsbkr.html

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/fusvbkr2.html

You'll see there are strong arguments (& feelings!) on both sides. I can only
say
in the light of my own knowledge that I took time over my choice and feel
comfortable
with it.

in friendship

Rowland