Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:39:34

On Mar 30, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> Having just replaced my fuel tank, I can speak to this issue.  I did the
> replacement
with doors on & wings off.  There is one issue in fitting the new tank.
The door sill on one side must be cut out to allow the new tank to go in:

Bobsorry to hear that youve had to go this, but grateful for your insights into
and photos of the process.  When installing the new tank, were you following
any explicit instructions (from where/who?) as to how best to support and secure
the tank?

Did you consider having your tank treated w/ additional fluoridation treatment?
If so, did you make all cuts into the tank before sending it off for treatment?

(Its been my understanding that the cracks were the result of stress
concentrations
caused by the fiberglass shelf and supports bonding to the tank; consequently
Ive presumed that the fix, in addition to the new tank itself, was to ensure
there was a bond break or slip sheet between the new tank and its supportsbut
perhaps Im mistaken, and the brittleness and subsequent cracking is a
consequence
of fuel interacting w/ the tank material alone, irrespective of potential
stress concentrations caused by portions of the tank being unable to expand
and contract?)

jus fulla questions, but tryin to get my head around this...

Fred