SV: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod

Subject: SV: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod
From: Arnold Kr. Hansen <arnok@online.no>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:22:48

Hello everybody interested in this topic,

According to my own experience two phenomenon happened to the HDPE material
in my tank; it swelled but also became very brittle.

I had to remove the tank in pieces. During that process I observed several
small cracks in areas, outside bonding areas, that had been subjected to
bending stresses due to bulging. I could easily make a crack in the material
with a sharp knife. The material was no longer the tough one I learned to
know when drilling several small holes to make the hole for the fuel level
sensor.

Therefore I think this phenomenon is a contributing factor to the cracking
of the tanks. The swelling will not necessarily lead to an even expansion of
the tank. Therefore bending stresses in the material can occur without any
external forces acting. And since the material has become very brittle, it
can crack and make a leakage.

Best regards
Arnold Kr. Hansen
LN ABM