Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 17:41:42

On Mar 29, 2014, at 9:11 AM, William Daniell
<wdaniell.longport@gmail.com> wrote:

> My tank dates from 2003.  Everything is in and I am planning to close
the fuselage.  I have understood that once filled (except for the
comments about the aux tank) with fuel it's better to leave the tank
full.

> However I would like to check the fuel system for two reasons, one to
check that it all works and the other is that if it does split I am
thinking that the major surgery will be easier without the top on.

> Is it a good idea to do this before closure bearing in mind that it
will take be another 18 months (ha!) before flying?....or should I just
hope for the best?

Will,

FWIW, I pondered the same question=85in my case, the problems w/ the
fuel tank arose after I=92d bonded my CM into the canoe.

I reasoned first that all Europas were not experiencing the leaks in the
fuel tank, and that the leaks were occurring after considerable flight
times.

I concluded that the best way forward for me was to keep the tank dry
until engine test / taxi trials and proceed w/ the build w/o delay. I
also concluded that replacement of the tank, though a somewhat nasty
process, would not be significantly different w/ or w/o the top on, and
I am prepared to trouble-shoot the fuel system for leaks when I=92m
ready for engine tests.

Thus far, considering the passage of time and multiple hazards of having
fuel in the aircraft during construction, I=92m content w/ following
this strategy. My only regret is my clear recollection of questioning
the build manual=92s instructions for bonding the tank into the CM, then
NOT raising the issue for discussion on this forum, and telling myself
=93if it=92s in the manual, it must be correct=94.

Onward,

Fred