Re: Europa-List: Nicopress Squeezes Using Aviation Approved Squeezer....

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nicopress Squeezes Using Aviation Approved Squeezer......comments
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 18:23:42

Hi Lance,
What powerplant are you using again? I am wondering whether I fit my flap floor
hinge hardware at this stage, or just rely on the redux pads, and put them in
later? I figure filling and painting might be easier without obstructions,
although
I will be making up a cover I would imagine, or fill to hide them. Do you
have a recommendation there? Also, I am struggling with my rudder cables but
might be starting to see light at the wnd of the tunnel, to coin a phrase. I
have both stainless steel cable I have bought from ACS and what appears to be
Gal cable, probably from Europa but it is not labelled, and I truly dont know
where it came from. It must have been Europa, but it definitely is NOT SS, as
it is far more magnetic. Did u use the Europa cable or some other? I will do
2 crimps even though I know they are 1.5 the load of the cable, as cheap
insurance
in case something slips, but, it comes with its own pitfalls. If you dont
leave a reasonable gap, it loads up the cable between them, as they pull in when
you crimp them, as we all probably know. So, I put 2 butted together for one
cable, and if I imagine the internal tension, that atatic load I could have
created, I cant leave it as is. I dont know how many times I have done this,
but at least I have turnbuckle to make the work a bit easier. I couldnt imagine
doing this without then, and the tensioner in the manual, well, I didnt even
bother to read the manual properly to digest how those things worked. So, I have
mow run out of Nicopress,
& cable, at a very inconvenient time. I will get some locally, or ACS to send it
out, but there packaging is ridiculous. I think they have a rates deal with
their courier company to maximise space over weight, and rhen they charge you
on volume. I have asked them to minimise the packaging but you get a box full
of these air bladders to fill the space, and then a baby package within. Crazy!

Anyway, onward and upward. As for my maths, I have to be really good at my 3 x
tables for profile management on descent, and ideally fast at it otherwise, I
get high and fast, both of which can get a bit ugly.
So, watch your back with that concrete, says he who only learnt the benefits of
a Larry Hoe after hand mixing about 1,000 wheelbarrow full of concrete. So, I
at the local RSL to watch the Reds against the Waratahs, and need to eat first.
Thks for the advice.
TR

> On 1 Mar 2014, at 13:02, Lance Sandford <sandford@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>

> Tony
>
> The beam is part of a sash clamp I used for making window frames many years
> ago.
> I set it in the nearest hole to give me the weight I required and adjusted the
rest with the much under used weights from my barbell, then carefully lowered
the jack and kept my fingers crossed.
> Im sure a Man of your ability can do the maths for whatever you have
> available.
> The check is 60% of 700 lbs for 3 minutes I think, but read the document.
> Incidentally, the breaking strain of a well made Nicopress is about 1.5 times
the minimum breaking strain of the cable hence I only used one on the ends of
my cables.
> I was hoping to be flying by mid year until my neighbour conned me into
> helping
lay 160 meters of concrete during our 30 Degree, 70% humidity days, which has
slowed build progress a couple of Months.

> Lance
>
>> On 01/03/14 11:12, Tony Renshaw wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lance,
>> Thanks for responding. That looks a great tester. With the various holes, did
you do the maths to calculate and what is the formula you use?
>> Good setup. I am impressed. I believe you are close to flying. Is that right?
>> TR.
>>

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On 1 Mar 2014, at 11:46 am, Lance Sandford <sandford@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> The final proof is in the testing.
>>>
>>> AC43-13-1b chapter 7 gives a chart and testing procedure.
>>> Attached is a picture of  my cable test rig.
>>> When I was doing the actual test I had a large ladder between myself and the
victim. If they break they can go with a bang.

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Lance Sandford

Any input gratefully received.