Re: Europa-List: Motorglider wings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Motorglider wings
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 23:19:30

Graham, It is teed into the pitot and static airlines but
calculates speed electronically and has built in
accelerometers so that it compensates for g and
effectively gives Angle of Attack related warnings. It has
two modes with a female voice through your headset:
firstly it/she will just tell you your airspeed at
intervals (I rarely use that mode) but more importantly it
acts as a speed director  in approach or take off mode.
Once settled on your approach you press a button for a
couple of seconds and she says Chosen speed is 60kts (or
whatever). Then if you stay within a few percent of that
she says 'Speed good' in a calm voice at intervals. As you
slow down she has three messages in progressively less
calm voice: 'Speed slow', 'Speed very slow'; and Speed
very slow preceded by a loud gong. Quite impossible to
ignore. Speeding up going away from the circuit she goes
to sleep but wakes up automatically when you get within a
few percent of your previously chosen approach speed,
which remains set unless you change it. It is a brilliant
piece of kit, designed as a life saving tool for
emergencies like EFATOs when the most experienced pilots
will still sometimes find themselves ignoring speed
control and falling out of the sky. But quite
coincidentally it is very much more effective than any
stall warner I have flown with. My Europa one doesn't make
much noise - a problem for a deaf old fart with expensive
modern headset, and on top of that it sounds for an
appreciable part of take off and landing runs, so I am
'trained' to ignore it!
Regards, David