Re: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:37:09

It is called a rectifier-regulator because the rectifier (the bridge)
also does the regulating; there is no separate regulating stage.
Two of the four diodes of the bridge are replaced by a diode-cum-switch
(a thyristor) to make that possible.
At the beginning of a phase the thyristor in the conducting branch does
not conduct.
The switch control function switches the thyristor on with a delay that
depends on input AC voltage (RPM) and output DC current (load).
It increases / decreases the delay when the (average) output DC voltage
is too high / too low.
The delay would probably be best controlled in terms of phase angle but
in practice is most likely done in terms of time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier has a nice animation half way
the page.
The DC-output is extremely noisy - more than14V peak-to-peak for a 14V
DC average output. A large capacitor across the DC output terminals is
generally prescribed.

Regards,
Jan