RE: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:04:56

Maybe not so fast about waste/dump conclusions..
When I built my motorcycle regulator about 5 years ago, I made it in the
shunt configuration, or the simple waste/dump. It still works great to this
day. It is very similar to the example in Nigel's document (which I plan to
go over in more detail about the Mosfet versions of regulators), except I
used an actual programmable shunt regulator IC to control the high-power
stage (a simple thing..it modeled like a zener with an amazing amount of
math to come up with the programming resistors, for what it is).

Unfortunately in this case, I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the
scr's in the Ducatti regulator.
When I went to prove to myself that they were shorting out the windings of
the generator to itself (similar to connecting the two outputs together), I
could only prove what Jan de Jong has been saying all along..that they
weren't. Thus, seems to not be a shunt configuration after all.

One downfall in this configuration..with no load on the generator, its AC
potential may have the ability to climb quite high. In hindsight, I guess
that was talked about in this thread ..30 volts...(42 volts peak?), but I
assumed probably incorrectly, that the measurement was made without a
regulator connected.
I wouldn't prefer those high voltages flying around...increasing the danger
of getting zapped and the dielectric needs of the components, but it is what
it is. In this configuration, the diode AND the scr are conducting at once,
to carry current to the load...increasing the needs on the heat sink.

Still, if the output diodes are a common failure mode, and with the cost of
replacements...it would be nice to see some of these things come back to
life. Stick it to the man..or the overpriced dealer, heehee.