Re: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ducati rectifier/regulators
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:10:36

Hi Remi,
Thank you for a vanilla way of dealing with the problem.
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

> On 22 Jan 2014, at 3:18 am, "Remi Guerner" <air.guerner@orange.fr> wrote:
>

> Very interesting discussion on the regulator-rectifier. After my first Ducati
regulator failed at about 150 hours, I designed some simple installation
improvements
in order to increase the reliability of the unit.
> I believe the main problem is to dissipate the heat. On the Europa, the
> regulator
is bolted to a composite structure which cannot act as a heat sink. So it
is necessary to duct cold outside air to the unit fins. I use SCAT ducting to
take the air from the front of the cowling to a plenum riveted to the Ducati
fins.
> Another issue is grounding:  the unit being bolted through a weak
> glassfiber/foam
sandwich structure, there is no way you can compress the ring terminal enough
to make a good ground connection. Now my ground wire is bolted to one of
the regulator fins using a separate bolt which can be torqued properly. See
attached
picture.
> Then there is the warning light which occasionally was giving false
> information
while the bus voltage was just right. I have since disconnected the L terminal
and installed a separate low/high voltage monitor (B&C).
> The replacement Ducati regulator I installed more than ten years ago has now
close to 1000 hours. May be because I have been carrying a spare unit since the
original one failed?