Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates
From: DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:27:23
Yep same company, head office now in Tibshelf, although think name changed
and different owners etc etc.=0A=0AIn fact they made me a very nice exhaust
 for my old race car ;-)=0A=0ADJ=0A=0ASent to you from David Joyce=0Awww.ea
stmidsspas.com=0A=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: GRAHAM
 SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>=0ATo: "europa-list@matronics.co
m" <europa-list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Monday, 12 August 2013, 10:33=0ASub
ject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates=0A  =0A=0A=0AThe company was in Somerc
otes, may have moved. Europa specified stainless but after a few cracked sy
stems, they changed to mild steel without telling Europa. Burnt through is
50 hours. Then they stopped altogether; probably their insurers had a fit.
=0AGraham=0A=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: James Kelly
 <europajimkelly@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Monday
, 12 August 2013, 9:38=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates=0A  =0A=0A
=0AThanks Bud for the detailed explanation. -Also David.=0ARgds=0AJimmy
=0A=0A=0AOn Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM, DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet
.com> wrote:=0A=0ABud=0A>-=0A>The replacement stainless exhausts-were c
loser to =A31200 don't know what they are now, original steel systems were
fabricated in Tibshelf Derbyshire I believe.=0A>- =0A>rgds=0A>DJ=0A>=0A>S
ent to you from David Joyce=0A>http://www.eastmidsspas.com/=0A>=0A>=0A> =0A
> From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0A>To: europa-list@matronics.com =0A>S
ent: Monday, 12 August 2013, 1:25=0A>=0A>Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset p
lates=0A>  =0A>=0A>=0A>Jimmy, =0A>Some time ago, the factory went to-anot
her exhaust manufacturer CKT =0AAero engineering and they did a good job of
 remanufacturing our exhaust with =0Athicker, better stainless steel, bette
r muffler supports-and less stress on =0Athe mandrel bends of the pipes.
- CKT also makes systems for most of the =0ARotax powered kits in Europe.
- Too bad we all had the older exhaust sold to =0Aus before which cracked
 at the exhaust, pipes and everywhere for mostly harmonic =0Areasons .- T
he only problem with the CKT exhaust was the springs, which =0Awere standar
d motorcycle carbon steel type, now he makes a stainless steel =0Aspring to
 try to get better longevity.- CKT stands behind their products =0Aand ha
s taken care of me. =0A>=0A>Note:- In certified aircraft we put RTV or hi
gh temp red silicone on =0Athe springs to reduce vibration harmonics.- I
run a piece of safety wire =0Athrough the spring and pull it up loosely.-
 This keeps any fatigued springs =0Afrom becoming FOD. =0A>=0A>Some History
: =0A>The 912S harmonics cause the exhaust to move laterally a bit and that
 will =0Afatigue crack in the bend of the exhaust of any system and if the
springs were =0Amade tighter, the muffler supports cracked.- We all know
how bad the =0Aaluminum heat shield was.- Also the 914 had some real prob
lems but over =0Atime, metal bends went to welded seams and we have been tr
ouble free.- The =0Aoriginal 912 exhaust was kept as light as possible, b
ut the vibration and =0Aharmonics caused fatigue cracks at very low time.
- My first experience was =0Awith Ira Rampil's exhaust which cracked in a
bout 4 places.- Chris at CKT =0Areplaced-the old-exhaust with his and
 we went through some teething =0Apains with it but not too bad except for
spring failures on the right side of =0Athe engine.-Contact Europa for th
e new-exhaust system and clear up =0Ayour problems, but expect it to cost
 about $1000 US or about -660 UK =0APounds.-  =0A>=0A>Bud =0A>=0A>=0A>-
---- Original Message -----  =0A>>From: James Kelly  =0A>>To: europa-list@m
atronics.com  =0A>>Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:07  PM =0A>>Subject: R
e: Europa-List: Gusset  plates =0A>>=0A>>Hi Bud, =0A>>- - - - -
- - -It appears that  there's always problems with Europa exhaust pip
es cracking near the manifold,  any ideas why this is so prevalent ? =0A>>
=0A>> =0A>>Jimmy=0A>>=0A>>=0A>>On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Bud Yerly <
budyerly@msn.com> wrote:=0A>>=0A>> =0A>>>Tony, =0A>>>If you have a gap but
-the plate-is parallel or close to  parallel to the tube you can put a
small joggle in the steel.- However  then your bolt hole to edge distance
 becomes critical on the wood glass  gusset.- If there is still good edge
 distance you'll be OK.-  =0A>>>=0A>>>Another method is to put a filler s
trip to take up the gap of  steel.- Just a short strip with a couple hole
s in it match drilled will  do. =0A>>>It should only add a bit of time and
be more than secure. =0A>>>=0A>>>All one is looking for is to keep the tube
 stable. =0A>>>=0A>>>Best Regards, =0A>>>Bud Yerly--- =0A>>>----- Ori
ginal Message -----  =0A>>>>From: Tony Renshaw  =0A>>>>To: europa-list@matr
onics.com  =0A>>>>Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:00  AM =0A>>>>Subject:
Europa-List: Gusset  plates =0A>>>>=0A>>>>--> Europa-List message posted by
: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>>>>=0A>>>>Gidday,=0A>>>>I am
=0A      having trouble with the gusset plates. I used the 12 ply supplied
and =0A      shaped it accordingly, except I have about a 5 mm gap from ply
 to tie rod. =0A      The cloth will take up approx half of that. So, I bon
ded on the ply and =0A      then layed up the 4 plies of BID, which in esse
nce thickens the ply by 8 =0A      plies. So, now that its all done I have
a 2-3 mm gap +/- and the gusset =0A      plates do not sit parallel. For th
e other side I lightly clamped the =0A      plates together as the BID cure
d, in situ, and they were covered in =0A      Canauba Wax for a release age
nt. So, that side is OK, but the first side I =0A      have a problem I am
hoping I can use Redux and Flox to pack out both the =0A      gap between r
od and ply, and also to create a flat bed for the gusset =0A      plates. I
 am wondering this would be considered an acceptable way to fix =0A      th
ings? I know Redux and Flox is a pretty tough mix and the loads in this =0A
      region I do not consider will challenge what I am doing, as something
 =0A      would have already broken, like a wing!=0A>>>>Regards=0A>>>>Tony
 p;-------- Features Chat, http://www.matronics.com/Navigat
or?Europa-List=0A>>>>=0A>>>>_p;-------- =0A      generous
=0A      bsp;------------------- =0A
     title=http://www.matronics.com/contribution href="http://www.matro