Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:33:51
The company was in Somercotes, may have moved. Europa specified stainless b
ut after a few cracked systems, they changed to mild steel without telling
Europa. Burnt through is 50 hours. Then they stopped altogether; probably t
heir insurers had a fit.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A___________________________
_____=0A From: James Kelly <europajimkelly@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@mat
ronics.com =0ASent: Monday, 12 August 2013, 9:38=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List
: Gusset plates=0A =0A=0A=0AThanks Bud for the detailed explanation. -Als
o David.=0ARgds=0AJimmy=0A=0A=0AOn Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM, DAVID JOYC
E <stranfaer@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A=0ABud=0A>-=0A>The replacement stai
nless exhausts-were closer to =A31200 don't know what they are now, origi
nal steel systems were fabricated in Tibshelf Derbyshire I believe.=0A>-
=0A>rgds=0A>DJ=0A>-=0A>Sent to you from David Joyce=0A>www.eastmidsspas.c
om=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0A>To: europa-list@mat
ronics.com =0A>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013, 1:25=0A>=0A>Subject: Re: Europ
a-List: Gusset plates=0A> =0A>=0A>=0A>Jimmy,=0A>Some time ago, the factory
went to-another exhaust manufacturer CKT =0AAero engineering and they did
 a good job of remanufacturing our exhaust with =0Athicker, better stainles
s steel, better muffler supports-and less stress on =0Athe mandrel bends
of the pipes.- CKT also makes systems for most of the =0ARotax powered ki
ts in Europe.- Too bad we all had the older exhaust sold to =0Aus before
which cracked at the exhaust, pipes and everywhere for mostly harmonic =0Ar
easons .- The only problem with the CKT exhaust was the springs, which
=0Awere standard motorcycle carbon steel type, now he makes a stainless ste
el =0Aspring to try to get better longevity.- CKT stands behind their pro
ducts =0Aand has taken care of me.=0A>-=0A>Note:- In certified aircraft
 we put RTV or high temp red silicone on =0Athe springs to reduce vibration
 harmonics.- I run a piece of safety wire =0Athrough the spring and pull
it up loosely.- This keeps any fatigued springs =0Afrom becoming FOD.=0A>
-=0A>Some History:=0A>The 912S harmonics cause the exhaust to move latera
lly a bit and that will =0Afatigue crack in the bend of the exhaust of any
system and if the springs were =0Amade tighter, the muffler supports cracke
d.- We all know how bad the =0Aaluminum heat shield was.- Also the 914
had some real problems but over =0Atime, metal bends went to welded seams a
nd we have been trouble free.- The =0Aoriginal 912 exhaust was kept as li
ght as possible, but the vibration and =0Aharmonics caused fatigue cracks a
t very low time.- My first experience was =0Awith Ira Rampil's exhaust wh
ich cracked in about 4 places.- Chris at CKT =0Areplaced-the old-exha
ust with his and we went through some teething =0Apains with it but not too
 bad except for spring failures on the right side of =0Athe engine.-Conta
ct Europa for the new-exhaust system and clear up =0Ayour problems, but e
xpect it to cost about $1000 US or about -660 UK =0APounds.- =0A>-=0A
>Bud=0A>-=0A>-=0A>----- Original Message ----- =0A>>From: James Kelly
=0A>>To: europa-list@matronics.com =0A>>Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:0
7  PM=0A>>Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset  plates=0A>>=0A>>Hi Bud, =0A>>
- - - - - - - -It appears that  there's always problems wit
h Europa exhaust pipes cracking near the manifold,  any ideas why this is s
o prevalent ?=0A>>=0A>>=0A>>Jimmy=0A>>=0A>>=0A>>On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:3
4 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:=0A>>=0A>> =0A>>>Tony,=0A>>>If you
 have a gap but-the plate-is parallel or close to  parallel to the tube
 you can put a small joggle in the steel.- However  then your bolt hole t
o edge distance becomes critical on the wood glass  gusset.- If there is
still good edge distance you'll be OK.- =0A>>>-=0A>>>Another method is
to put a filler strip to take up the gap of  steel.- Just a short strip w
ith a couple holes in it match drilled will  do.=0A>>>It should only add a
bit of time and be more than secure.=0A>>>-=0A>>>All one is looking for i
s to keep the tube stable.=0A>>>-=0A>>>Best Regards,=0A>>>Bud Yerly--
-=0A>>>----- Original Message ----- =0A>>>>From: Tony Renshaw =0A>>>>To:
europa-list@matronics.com =0A>>>>Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:00  AM
=0A>>>>Subject: Europa-List: Gusset  plates=0A>>>>=0A>>>>--> Europa-List me
ssage posted by: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>>>>=0A>>>>Gidda
y,=0A>>>>I am =0A      having trouble with the gusset plates. I used the 12
 ply supplied and =0A      shaped it accordingly, except I have about a 5 m
m gap from ply to tie rod. =0A      The cloth will take up approx half of t
hat. So, I bonded on the ply and =0A      then layed up the 4 plies of BID,
 which in essence thickens the ply by 8 =0A      plies. So, now that its al
l done I have a 2-3 mm gap +/- and the gusset =0A      plates do not sit pa
rallel. For the other side I lightly clamped the =0A      plates together a
s the BID cured, in situ, and they were covered in =0A      Canauba Wax for
 a release agent. So, that side is OK, but the first side I =0A      have a
 problem I am hoping I can use Redux and Flox to pack out both the =0A
 gap between rod and ply, and also to create a flat bed for the gusset =0A
     plates. I am wondering this would be considered an acceptable way to f
ix =0A      things? I know Redux and Flox is a pretty tough mix and the loa
ds in this =0A      region I do not consider will challenge what I am doing
, as something =0A      would have already broken, like a wing!=0A>>>>Regar
ds=0A>>>>Tony  p;-------- Features Chat, http://www.matroni
cs.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A>>>>=0A>>>>_p;-------- =0A
    generous =0A      bsp;----------------
--- =0A      title=http://www.matronics.com/contribution href="ht