Europa-List: stopping engine in flight

Subject: Europa-List: stopping engine in flight
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:04:32

Some time ago there was some discussion about stopping &
restarting the engine in flight. Yesterday I was
experimenting with this in order to research glide angles
with engine idling and actually stopped. I was frustrated
in this because with the ignition off my prop continued to
windmill with the speed pulled right back to 50kts. This
is with a Rotax 914 and a Woodcomp SR3000W, and I guess it
is because this prop offers appreciably more blade area
than say Warp drive blades. For what it is worth the
engine fired up again immediately on switching the
ignition back on without needing the starter.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ