Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates
From: DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 08:30:30
Bud=0A-=0AThe replacement stainless exhausts-were closer to =A31200 don
't know what they are now, original steel systems were fabricated in Tibshe
lf Derbyshire I believe.=0A-=0Argds=0ADJ=0A=0ASent to you from David Joyc
e=0Awww.eastmidsspas.com=0A=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A Fr
om: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: M
onday, 12 August 2013, 1:25=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset plates=0A
=0A=0A=0A =0AJimmy, =0ASome time ago, the factory went to-another exhaust
 manufacturer CKT =0AAero engineering and they did a good job of remanufact
uring our exhaust with =0Athicker, better stainless steel, better muffler s
upports-and less stress on =0Athe mandrel bends of the pipes.- CKT also
 makes systems for most of the =0ARotax powered kits in Europe.- Too bad
we all had the older exhaust sold to =0Aus before which cracked at the exha
ust, pipes and everywhere for mostly harmonic =0Areasons .- The only prob
lem with the CKT exhaust was the springs, which =0Awere standard motorcycle
 carbon steel type, now he makes a stainless steel =0Aspring to try to get
better longevity.- CKT stands behind their products =0Aand has taken care
 of me. =0A=0ANote:- In certified aircraft we put RTV or high temp red si
licone on =0Athe springs to reduce vibration harmonics.- I run a piece of
 safety wire =0Athrough the spring and pull it up loosely.- This keeps an
y fatigued springs =0Afrom becoming FOD. =0A=0ASome History: =0AThe 912S ha
rmonics cause the exhaust to move laterally a bit and that will =0Afatigue
crack in the bend of the exhaust of any system and if the springs were =0Am
ade tighter, the muffler supports cracked.- We all know how bad the =0Aal
uminum heat shield was.- Also the 914 had some real problems but over =0A
time, metal bends went to welded seams and we have been trouble free.- Th
e =0Aoriginal 912 exhaust was kept as light as possible, but the vibration
and =0Aharmonics caused fatigue cracks at very low time.- My first experi
ence was =0Awith Ira Rampil's exhaust which cracked in about 4 places.- C
hris at CKT =0Areplaced-the old-exhaust with his and we went through so
me teething =0Apains with it but not too bad except for spring failures on
the right side of =0Athe engine.-Contact Europa for the new-exhaust sys
tem and clear up =0Ayour problems, but expect it to cost about $1000 US or
about -660 UK =0APounds.-  =0A=0ABud =0A=0A=0A----- Original Message --
---  =0A>From: James Kelly  =0A>To: europa-list@matronics.com  =0A>Sent: Sa
turday, August 10, 2013 6:07  PM =0A>Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gusset  plat
es =0A>=0A>Hi Bud, =0A>- - - - - - - -It appears that  ther
e's always problems with Europa exhaust pipes cracking near the manifold,
any ideas why this is so prevalent ? =0A>=0A> =0A>Jimmy=0A>=0A>=0A>On Sat,
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:=0A>=0A> =0A>>T
ony, =0A>>If you have a gap but-the plate-is parallel or close to  para
llel to the tube you can put a small joggle in the steel.- However  then
your bolt hole to edge distance becomes critical on the wood glass  gusset.
- If there is still good edge distance you'll be OK.-  =0A>>=0A>>Anothe
r method is to put a filler strip to take up the gap of  steel.- Just a s
hort strip with a couple holes in it match drilled will  do. =0A>>It should
 only add a bit of time and be more than secure. =0A>>=0A>>All one is looki
ng for is to keep the tube stable. =0A>>=0A>>Best Regards, =0A>>Bud Yerly
--- =0A>>----- Original Message -----  =0A>>>From: Tony Renshaw  =0A>
>>To: europa-list@matronics.com  =0A>>>Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:00
  AM =0A>>>Subject: Europa-List: Gusset  plates =0A>>>=0A>>>--> Europa-List
 message posted by: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>>>=0A>>>Gidd
ay,=0A>>>I am =0A      having trouble with the gusset plates. I used the 12
 ply supplied and =0A      shaped it accordingly, except I have about a 5 m
m gap from ply to tie rod. =0A      The cloth will take up approx half of t
hat. So, I bonded on the ply and =0A      then layed up the 4 plies of BID,
 which in essence thickens the ply by 8 =0A      plies. So, now that its al
l done I have a 2-3 mm gap +/- and the gusset =0A      plates do not sit pa
rallel. For the other side I lightly clamped the =0A      plates together a
s the BID cured, in situ, and they were covered in =0A      Canauba Wax for
 a release agent. So, that side is OK, but the first side I =0A      have a
 problem I am hoping I can use Redux and Flox to pack out both the =0A
 gap between rod and ply, and also to create a flat bed for the gusset =0A
     plates. I am wondering this would be considered an acceptable way to f
ix =0A      things? I know Redux and Flox is a pretty tough mix and the loa
ds in this =0A      region I do not consider will challenge what I am doing
, as something =0A      would have already broken, like a wing!=0A>>>Regard
s=0A>>>Tony =0A      p;-------- Features Chat, http://www.m
atronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A>>>_p;-------- =0A
  generous =0A      bsp;-----------------
-- =0A      title=http://www.matronics.com/contribution href="http: