Re: Europa-List: aileron SLOP

Subject: Re: Europa-List: aileron SLOP
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:04:29
Hello Ferg,

I suspect the problem is most likely in one or both of the aileron quick
connect mechanisms but before checking them firstly ensure ALL rod end
fittings and associated bolts within the whole aileron circuit are
properly tightened.  Also check that one of the tufnol pads on the quick
connects has not come adrift.

Assuming everything aforementioned is tight and/or in place, get a
helper to hold the control stick progressively in the full left, centre
and full right positions while you check the free movement of one
aileron at a time in all of those positions.  If you find the free
movement varies when in each of those positions, the problem will likely
be one of misalignment of the bolts on which the quick connects pivot.
Check the other aileron in the same manner.
If you once had no free play as you describe but do now, I suspect there
might have been a collision in a quick connect mechanism during the
rigging or de-rigging of the wings at some time.

If the problem IS found to be one of misalignment of the quick connect
pivot bolts, we will have to discuss a method for fixing this later.

Hope this is of some help mate.

Cheers from your antipodean cousin

Kingsley