Re: Europa-List: Immersion suits?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Immersion suits?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:49:17

On 06/29/2013 02:36 AM, Kevin Kedward wrote:

> He and his fellow pupils
> found it nigh on Impossible( and Tony had the great build ) to get
> into the wet slippery dingy LOL.

Yep, I heard that too. There is a test somewhere on the internet where
they have tested a lot of dingies and it seems that even in a swimming
pool the majority of the people fail to board it. Let alone when there
are waves, you are somewhat injured due to the ditching, the water is
freezing cold, and you are wearing shoes and other restricting clothes.
I have a dingy, this was one of the models tested, and it is a model
without ladder ("stairs"?), like all lighter weight models, and nearly
impossible to board. It also doesn't have an anchor (again, most smaller
dingies don't have it) and this simply means that it will be blown by
the wind faster than you can swim. So, if you let it go for just a
moment while trying to board it, it will take off and leaving you
exhausted, and distract and confuse the rescue team.

Guess what, in the recent north cape trip, with quite a few water
crossings, I left the dingy home. It saves 7 kilo's. And I didn't know
where to put it anyway, without risk of having it either flying through
the cockpit (the deceleration when ditching seems to be enormous) or
stowed it securely away making it hard to retrieve it when needed from a
possibly sinking or inverted airplane.

For sale: Dingy. Never used. 7 kilos. 4-6 persons. In new condition.

Frans