Re: Europa-List: Immersion suits?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Immersion suits?
From: Kevin Kedward <kpeng1@hotmail.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:36:01

Hi Guys,
              Clive.    10 years ago I toured  in my own plane with several
aviators
a lot wiser than I to Majorca/ Ibiza /Espana .  A great mentor to me at
the time was Tony  ( RESECT )Smyth. He took his prized Europa to South Africa
just for fun :).   We were dining one night and Tony gave us all a presentation
of his experience  of a sea ditching survival course he had done.....WELL
we laughted our heads off as this was done in a swimming pool.  He and his
fellow
pupils found it nigh on Impossible( and Tony had the great build ) to get
into the wet slippery dingy LOL.  I think that if you are not 30ish and super
fit and trained to survive, don't think ( how old are you ? ) that if you have
the gear you will live !!.....  The risk is yours

             Take care
                              Kevin

to get into the bright new dingy :)

Sent from my iPad

On 28 Jun 2013, at 23:56, "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

> Clive, I would certainly opt to borrow or hire a dinghy rather than suits -
> you
can then be comfortable flying. The water temp around N of Scotland is currently
in 10 to 12C region which is not cold enough to be incapacitating if you
get wet. It is all pretty remote up there and I would fancy my chances quite
a bit more with a dinghy,(in which you could expect to survive 3 days or more)
rather than suits in which you might survive a couple of hours or so, assuming
the plane sank(which it almost certainly won't) and assuming you were not picked
up very quickly (possible, but with PLB and the sense to give them your GPS
position on the way down, hopefully not too likely). I would offer you mine
but am clinging to the hope that I might get the weather to try a bit of Dawn
to Dusk action one or other of the two weekends you plan to be away, and if so
I might well be passing overhead! Regards, David Joyce, G- XSDJ

> "gtagr" <clive.maf@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Fellow Europa flyers,
>> Am planning a trip up to the Shetland Isles 6-14th July for which some of the
transits (longest perhaps 30mins) are over water.  Thinking about ditching and
surviveability, can anyone recommend or advise on the hire or loan of immersion
suits - as I'd rather not buy for this one trip.  My first over water stretch
is from Banff to Wick (departure Fishburn) and the second and subsequent
is Wick to Kirkwall, Sumburgh and various other leg sections up to Baltasound
airport on Unst - and back of course.  Have new (and registered) PLB, and
lifejackets.
Also, if anyone knows, what might the additional weight of two immersions
suits be?  All advice/comments/tips based upon experience, welcome. Clive
Sutton G-TAGR