Re: Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:38:17
Jon,
Glad to here you are progressing well.

I meant in my comments to apply the grease to both the disk (top side
only since there is a pin holding the disk immovable on the lower fork)
and the flat plate on the gear.  Apply the grease to both the plastic
and the bearings is OK.  As for our friction setting, it is a bit high
in comparison to the Yankee, or RV because our nose gear is at a shorter
caster distance like those annoying shopping cart wheels.  It is set
this way to get the proper nose to main spacing and not interfere with
the prop and still be able to be kept light.  I would say your current
setting about 20 is fine. However, if you lower the friction to 16 and
bang down the nose at high speed (over 50Kts.) it will likely shimmy.
Hence the book says 21 pounds.  Set the torque near there and go test
it.

As far as the breakout, Pete gave a great answer.  Once you let the gear
set a bit, it takes a bit more pull to get the gear moving than to go
around and around once it has started turning.

It's time to get into the plane and taxi, test and fly.

Regards,
Bud Yerly