RE: Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 08:46:35

Hi Jonathan,
Since the friction disc is pin located to the fork assembly it is pointless
applying the grease to the underside of the plastic disc.
The break out friction referred to is a feature of the speed of application
of movement.  Just applying a progressive load as in the 20 lb test will not
produce the break out effect that you are looking for. Speaking
scientifically, the friction torque generated by the grease is related to
velocity by a hysteresis curve.  Ie the greater the surface speed the
greater the friction torque produced.
In fact the only way to demonstrate the result of applying the grease is to
fly the beast.
If you set the friction, as per the manual, then you will achieve exactly
the result you require.

Pete