Re: Europa-List: Coax Advice for VHF antenna.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Coax Advice for VHF antenna.
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:51:18
Tony-

Ditto what others have said. A dipole is the ideal antenna for a glass airp
lane. I put mine on the outside edge of my rudder post so that I can get to
 it if I ever need to. I used an AAE folded dipole, which would be another
good answer for you, but the foil dipole as outlined in the book is just fi
ne. Be sure to use an SWR bridge to tune it and you will have no problems.
In my particular case, the coaxial cable furnished with my kit was garbage.
 It had an aluminum shield, which is hard to solder to. You need high quali
ty 52 ohm coaxial cable. Some versions of RG-58 or certainly, RG-200 will b
e just fine. If you go this route, both the center conductor and shield sho
uld be multi wire copper, which means it is easy to solder to. Do not use c
able that has a single conductor center. It is prone to breaking with vibra
tion. Everyone tells me that crimp-on connectors are fine. I am sure they a
re, although I don't like them. I wouldn't even put a connector on the foil
. Just clean it well and solder the cable directly to it. The rudder post i
s an ideal location.

Jim Puglise
A283, Florda