RE: Europa-List: Rotax914+Woodcom high twist+

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rotax914+Woodcom high twist+
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:34:18

Hi,

Sounds like you need to decrease the fine pitch by about 0.5 degrees to
achieve the 5,700 RPM.

We had the same problem setting up our Woodcomp propeller.

There are two microswitch cams that need adjusting - the main one and the
safety backup one (this is normally set up about 1 degree finer than the
main one).

As Ivor says you need an allen/ hex key to loosen the grub screws that lock
the cams in place.(one end of the allen key may need to be ground down to
fit into the restricted space between the blades and the backplate).  The
allen/ hex key needs to be a good fit as the retaining grub screws are
loc-tited into place and can take a lot of force to shift.

If you tape a digital level to one of the blades its easy to make the
necessary adjustment with a fair degree of precision .

If you make a ground run once the micro switch stops have been adjusted you
should see about 5,400 RPM static on the ground - this should increase to
the magic 5,700 on take off. I guess with a 914 you will need to tie the
tailplane to a tree (or the towbar on your car)

Good luck.

Carl
C-LABS