Re: Europa-List: Fixing Cooling Ducting to Firewall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fixing Cooling Ducting to Firewall
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:46:24

On 05/18/2011 03:24 PM, Bob Harrison wrote:

> It means that the reverse side of the anchor nut will need sinking into the
> fire wall so that the bolt/screws will screw into and any excess threads of
> the bolt will also disappear into the fire wall and so absorb the thickness
> of the anchor nut. In other words simply turn the anchor not over then fix
> it with the pop rivets.

That is how it is intended.
But I think this is a bad practice. In normal use, the rivets are just
there to prevent the anchor nut from turning while fastening the bolt,
and to keep the anchor nut from falling out when the bolt is removed. In
normal use, once the bolt is fastened, the rivets are free of load. You
could take let the rivets disappear and nothing would happen.

Now mount the anchor nut in reverse... and in this situation the whole
strength of the assembly relies on these two tiny rivets. If you pull on
the bolt, the load is transferred to the rivets and they are the weakest
link. Compared to the AN-3 bolt, the rivets are very very weak.

So, I did not use this method at all. (In fact, I scrapped the entire
cooling duct, but this is an entirely different matter).

Frans