Re: Europa-List: Fixing Cooling Ducting to Firewall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fixing Cooling Ducting to Firewall
From: Richard Wheelwright <rpwheelwright@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:25:29
With some carefull measuring you-may be able to-drill all the way throu
gh and use nut and bolt with large washer-on the inside.=0A=0A-and miss
 the-rudder pedal-flat surfaces. Job dun.=0A-=0A=======
==============0A=0ARichard Wheelwright=0A==
===================0A=0AFrom: Frans Vel
dman <frans@privatepilots.nl>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Wedne
sday, 18 May 2011, 15:46=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Fixing Cooling Ducting
rivatepilots.nl>=0A=0AOn 05/18/2011 03:24 PM, Bob Harrison wrote:=0A=0A> It
 means that the reverse side of the anchor nut will need sinking into the
=0A> fire wall so that the bolt/screws will screw into and any excess threa
ds of=0A> the bolt will also disappear into the fire wall and so absorb the
 thickness=0A> of the anchor nut. In other words simply turn the anchor not
 over then fix=0A> it with the pop rivets.=0A=0AThat is how it is intended.
=0ABut I think this is a bad practice. In normal use, the rivets are just
=0Athere to prevent the anchor nut from turning while fastening the bolt,
=0Aand to keep the anchor nut from falling out when the bolt is removed. In
=0Anormal use, once the bolt is fastened, the rivets are free of load. You
=0Acould take let the rivets disappear and nothing would happen.=0A=0ANow m
ount the anchor nut in reverse... and in this situation the whole=0Astrengt
h of the assembly relies on these two tiny rivets. If you pull on=0Athe bol
t, the load is transferred to the rivets and they are the weakest=0Alink. C
ompared to the AN-3 bolt, the rivets are very very weak.=0A=0ASo, I did not
 use this method at all. (In fact, I scrapped the entire=0Acooling duct, bu
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle, List
======