RE: Europa-List: phones for flying

Subject: RE: Europa-List: phones for flying
From: Garry Stout <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:25:28

When using the iPad (with Foreflight app) IN THE AIR, don't turn off the 3G
function.  You'll be left with only Wi-Fi capability which is nonexistent in
the air.  In most sections of the country you'll still have internet
connectivity via 3G cell towers, so you can get weather downloads, etc.  The
3G cell tower service is not 100% as when flying over some more remote
sections of the country you'll be out of range of any cell towers, but my
experience is that I'm seldom out of service for more than about 10 or 15
minutes.

Garry Stout