Re: Europa-List: phones for flying

Subject: Re: Europa-List: phones for flying
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:28:05
Gerry=0AI used to use my old PDA as a navigation device using PocketFMS. (g
ood software =0Athat was)=0ATrouble is the connection for recharging and da
ta updates has worn out so it =0Awon't recharge or update any more. Is the
i Phone connector equally fragile?=0A=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A____________________
____________=0AFrom: Gerry Holland <gholland@content-stream.co.uk>=0ATo: eu
ropa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Tuesday, 28 December, 2010 7:31:36=0ASubjec
t: Re: Europa-List: phones for flying=0A=0A--> Europa-List message posted b
y: Gerry Holland <gholland@content-stream.co.uk>=0A=0AFred Hi!=0ANot being
flippant but everything has a limited battery life. You are quite=0Aright w
hen you say the iPhone battery charge can dissipate fairly quickly=0Awhen u
sing something like Memory Map as a navigational back up.=0APossibly as low
 as 4 hours or less. I do have a 12V Auxiliary connection to=0Amine from a
7Amp Hour Battery Box as I have no electrics from the Aircraft.=0AIt's old
and basic and not a Europa.=0AI have a iPad at home and the battery life on
 that is very good, lasting=0Aabout 15 hours in constant use although it co
uld be less as navigation=0Adevice. It too can have auxiliary 12V supply. T
hese supplies are normally=0Aconnected via Aux or Cigarette Lighter connect
ion.=0AI used a RAM iPhone Holder purchased from Aircraft Spruce. The iPad
has=0Asimilar holder.=0AWhen using iPhone as navigational device turn off 3
GS connection to  conserve=0Abattery life.=0A=0AFor iPad Holder look at:=0A
http://www.xtrdesign.co.uk/XTR_Design/Welcome.html=0Ahttp://www.aircraftspr
uce.com/catalog/avpages/ramholap8lu.php=0A=0AFor iPhone:=0Ahttp://www.aircr
aftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ramholap9u.php=0A=0AHope that helps.=0AThe iP
hone is an excellent BACK UP for navigation as well as many other=0Aaviatio