Re: Europa-List: phones for flying

Subject: Re: Europa-List: phones for flying
From: Kevin Challis <kevinmarie@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:34:04
I have a cigar socket on the panel. I connect a 4 way connector and power tw
o iphones, backup gps, and sometimes a video camera! It works fine the iphon
e connectors are quite robust.

Kevin

On 28 Dec 2010, at 12:28, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> w
rote:

> Gerry
> I used to use my old PDA as a navigation device using PocketFMS. (good sof
tware that was)
> Trouble is the connection for recharging and data updates has worn out so i
t won't recharge or update any more. Is the i Phone connector equally fragil
e?
> Graham

co.uk>

> Fred Hi!
> Not being flippant but everything has a limited battery life. You are quit
> right when you say the iPhone battery charge can dissipate fairly quickly
> when using something like Memory Map as a navigational back up.
> Possibly as low as 4 hours or less. I do have a 12V Auxiliary connection t
> mine from a 7Amp Hour Battery Box as I have no electrics from the Aircraft
.
> It's old and basic and not a Europa.
> I have a iPad at home and the battery life on that is very good, lasting
> about 15 hours in constant use although it could be less as navigation
> device. It too can have auxiliary 12V supply. These supplies are normally
> connected via Aux or Cigarette Lighter connection.
> I used a RAM iPhone Holder purchased from Aircraft Spruce. The iPad has
> similar holder.
> When using iPhone as navigational device turn off 3GS connection to conser
ve
> battery life.
>
> For iPad Holder look at:
> http://www.xtrdesign.co.uk/XTR_Design/Welcome.html
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ramholap8lu.php
>
> For iPhone:
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ramholap9u.php
>
> Hope that helps.
> The iPhone is an excellent BACK UP for navigation as well as many other
> aviation Apps to use. AeroWme AWESOME FREE lectric www.aeroere www.builder
sb="_blank" href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com";>www.homebuilthelp.com=
  --> http://wwwnk"; href="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matro
nics.com