Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:56:46

Frans,

I flew last summer in temperatures in the high 90's to low 100's (35C-41C) with
no signs of overheating.

I have the stock FWF 914 setup with the following changes:

1.  The lowered oil cooler.
2.  I have sealed the sides of the radiators to the aluminum duct with silicone
rubber seal
3.  I have sealed the bottom of the oil cooler to the cowl with a foam strip
4.  I replaced all the factory supplied tape for the front of the duct with wide
silicone rubber seal
5.  I smoothed the inside lower lip of the cowl intake with  blue foam and 2
lays
of glass to reduce turbulence and smooth flow

I do not have the Rotax shroud over the cylinders but will consider it should
cooling
be inadequate this summer.

I hope this helps,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.