Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Kevin Klinefelter <kevann@gotsky.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 06:26:57
I have the stock Europa cooling duct with the oil cooler lowered to the
bottom of the cowling. As Gert suggests below, all gaps are sealed well,
including the bottom of the oil cooler to the cowling and the sides of
both coolers to the aluminum duct.

I flew last week to Death Valley with a friend in the right seat. When
we departed furnace creek(L06) the OAT was about 90 F. The climb from
200' below sea level to 11,000' at 90 to 100 knots indicated showed oil
temps up to 240 F and the Evans coolant 230. CHT is always within 10
deg. of the coolant.

I have been climbing most of the time at airspeeds around 100 knots and
100% (34"map) which yeilds a healthy climb rate. The temps inside the
cowl have gotten high enough to deform the spark plug indicator labels.
I wraped the exhaust pipes, but I'm not sure if that helped really
because I don't have the cowl temps monitored.

The OAT should exceed 100F today. Whew!

Best of luck,  Kevin
Mono intercooled 914 Airmaster prop